In our third online poll to find out what Plus readers would most like to know about the Universe, you told us that you'd like to learn about the secrets of dark matter and dark energy. We took the first part of the question — what is dark matter? — to Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal and Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics at the University of Cambridge. Here is his answer.
posted by Plus @ 9:26 AM
- At 3:09 PM, Xavier Terri said...
Teoría Conectada: The best physics theory since 1687
The new Copernican revolution
I read Lee Smolin's book ‘Las dudas de la física en el siglo XXI’, 2007, Ed. Crítica. Wonderful. I have seen that Lee Smolin are looking for a new big idea, the fundamental simply idea for the progress and unification of physics. Seems that Smolin got the conviction that both quantum mechanics and GR theorys don’t understand the deep nature of time (page 355). It is right for GR unless.
Here is what i say:
No more Lorentz’s Transformations. The new alternatives transformations (’relational transformations’) are deduced on ‘LA PARADOJA DE LOS GEMELOS DE LA TEORÍA DE LA RELATIVIDAD ESPECIAL DE EINSTEIN’, f.i., equations (22) and (23) with “C” and “D” given by (42) and (43) , pages (33) to (36). From them arises the ‘teoría relacional’, an alternative to special relativity.
The generalitation of this ‘teoría relacional’, the unique possible classic alternative to GR, appears on ‘EXTRACTO DE LA TEORÍA CONECTADA'. 3 are the fundamental equations. (84), (171) and (172), pages (146) and (182). This 3=24 equations are necessary in order to eliminate the Newton-Einstein’s absolute space. There are not absolutes accelerations (neither absolutes velocities, of course).
The DARK MATTER problem is solved in ‘Apéncice C’, page 205 (Exponential factor gets important at large distance from the center).
What about a “quantum teoría conectada”? I believe that you can say something important about it.
Terrassa 2009 august 6
P.D.: Smolin IS completely certain when he tell that the great historic mistake comes from Descartes-Galileo ('Las dudas de la física en el s.XXI', pages 355-356). This great historic error is the Principle of Inertia (movement is a relational concept. It is completely false that the movement of ALL free bodies is a straight line. Some of them move, respect the SAME reference system, in a curved way. Spacetime metric defines a specific relationship betwen bodies and reference system.Pure evidence beyond the reason: at night, see the stars). Also, Principle of Inertia leads us to the inertial-non inertial dichotomy. Where is INVARIANCE of physical laws? (pages 45 on 'Paradoja' and 141, eq. (77), on 'Teoría Conectada').
- At 1:47 AM, பாஸ்கர் said...
Excellent educative article.I have more questions now before reading this article. Convey my thanks to the author.
- At 2:51 PM, Xavier Terri said...
I was talking in previous comment about a new Lorentz transformation.
Now you can see it in Relativity and Cosmology viXra.org, numbers: 34, 63 and 64.
- At 3:35 AM, Dov Henis said...
No Dark Matter, No Maybe
A. From "Experiment detects particles of dark matter, maybe"
Events in underground experiment too few for certainty, but match the signature of WIMPs.
- "...dark matter — the proposed invisible material believed to account for about 80 percent of the mass of the universe."
- "...tiny vibrations imparted by a proposed type of dark matter called weakly interacting massive particles, or WIMPs."
- "proof of dark matter, Hogan says, would be a huge transformation in how we do science; we would have a new form of matter to study."
- "WIMP fingerprints might be detected by a slew of experiments on the ground and in space including collisions of high-energy protons at the world’s most powerful atom smasher, the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva. Physicists using the LHC, which has now resumed operation after a year of repairs, plan to look for what would be missing: a deficit of energy in the collision debris could be evidence for dark matter particles."
B. Respectfully and tired of, I refrain from more quotes and just suggest searching "Dov Henis there is no dark matter nor dark energy"
Enough is enough. Humanity has been hallucinating about dark energy and matter for circa 100 years.
- "On Energy, Mass, Gravity, Galaxies Clusters, AND Life"
- "Implications Of E=Total[m(1 + D)]"
- "Cosmic Evolution Simplified"
(Comments From The 22nd Century)