Runner up in the schools category Being good at mental arithmetic isn't going to gain you much street cred these days. But, as Owen Daniel explains, not so long ago it was a sure route to fame and fortune — even if you were a horse.
- What is maths for? - What do we hope people will know after studying maths at school?
- New Plus posters! - Find out how you can get hold of your own copy of our brilliant new poster!
- Specially for students - This issue of Plus brings you the first of an occasional series expecially for use in the classroom.
- Optional maths - should students be able to give up maths at age 14?
- Outer space - In what will now be a regular feature, mathematician and cosmologist John D. Barrow shares some maths that's amused and intrigued him.
- Readers' corner- More Strange activities for last issue's Ship of Fools!