public understanding of mathematics
Editorial, mathematics education, mathematics in the media, public understanding of mathematics, adrian smith
- Where is the next generation? - more bad news for maths education.
- Can Plus cure crazy scientists? - the science stereotype persists.
It isn't often that a mathematical equation makes the national press, far less popular radio, or most astonishingly of all, is the subject of a debate in the UK parliament. However, as Chris Budd and Chris Sangwin tell us, in 2003 the good old quadratic equation, which we all learned about in school, reached these dizzy pinnacles of fame.
- What is maths for? - What do we hope people will know after studying maths at school?
- New Plus posters! - Find out how you can get hold of your own copy of our brilliant new poster!
- Specially for students - This issue of Plus brings you the first of an occasional series expecially for use in the classroom.